Visit to Misminay and Ollantaytambo Rural Community
This visit is unique for many reasons: on the one hand you can feel part of the local population, learn about customs and have a unique experience of the culture of Misminay. This destination is very popular and is located just an hour and a half from Cusco. Also, you can share the cultural riches and be part of them, allowing you to get involved in their crops and knowing the work of their artisans.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn about their cosmovision and the symbolism of the stars, as well as visit the agricultural laboratory of Moray and the salt mines of Maras in the same tour. This is an activity where you can help to improve the quality of life of this community and learn about it.
Feel how Peruvian wool slips through your fingers and learn how the Misminay community lives with this excursion from Cusco. ¡ You will discover the millenary traditions of the Andean people!
Itinerary of Visit to the Misminay and Ollantaytambo Rural Community:
We leave Cusco at approximately 8:00 am. We will pick you up at the hotel and then head to the home of the Andean community.
Our first stop will be an archeological site in Moray. Here we will visit the terraces used by the Incas for botanical activities and appreciate some of its history.
After having walked on this site, we will go to the district of Maras. We will walk along a road until we enter a rural region: Misminay.
In the meantime, a guide will lead the group telling details and origins of the community, whose main activity is agriculture, textile handicrafts and recently, tourism.
During this activity, we will be able to participate in the preparation of uchucuta, a rocoto chili pepper and herbs traditional of their community. We will also visit the interpretation center and take the opportunity to buy local products made by the Misminay.
Finally, we will visit the Ollataytambo archeological complex, one of the most important in Peru, where we will explore the village and the local market.
Our excursion ends around 4:00 p.m. with the return to our hotel in Cusco.
The price of the Visit to the Misminay and Ollantaytambo Campesino Community includes:
- Transfer from lodging in the historic center of Cusco. Access to the hotel area is limited by the narrow streets of the city, if necessary, the guide will suggest a nearby point to start the tour.
- Return to the lodge (private tours) or Plaza Regocijo.
- Professional guide in English, Spanish, Portuguese (ask for availability for this or other languages).
- First aid kit and oxygen.
The price of the visit to the Misminay and Ollantaytambo Rural Community does not include:
- Expenses within the activity: Estimated cost per person is 30 USD. Bring the money on the day of the tour
- Transfer from hotels outside the city of Cusco (for private tours, ask if extra costs apply to pick up from Sacred Valley or other places)
- Tip for the guide
- Breakfast, lunch or other meals not specified in the itinerary.
- Tourist ticket: see information below.
- Entrance ticket to the salt mines of Maras (adults and students: S/10.00).
- Tourist Ticket: The Cusco Tourist Ticket (BTC) allows entrance to different attractions. It can be purchased at the entrance of each tourist destination we visit (consider that only cash payment is accepted).
- For this tour, you will need the Partial Tourist Ticket of Circuit III, which covers the attractions of Pisac, Chinchero, Moray and Ollantaytambo.Ticket Prices:Partial Tourist Ticket - Foreigners S/. 70.00Partial Tourist Ticket - Peruvian S/. 40.00See more information about the Tourist Ticket in this article.
What to Bring
¿What to bring for the Visit to the Misminay and Ollantaytambo Campesino Community?
- It is recommended to bring: comfortable shoes, light clothing, hat, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, water, rain gear (especially in November - April).
- Passport or ID card.
- Travel insurance.
- Audiovisual recording devices (cell phone, camera, video cameras).
- Cash (local currency).
Considerations for the Visit to the Misminay and Ollantaytambo Campesino Community:
- This tour is not recommended for children under 10 years old.
- It is important that you enjoy a few days in Cusco before doing the tour of Palcoyo, an alternative to the Traditional Rainbow Mountain. This is the only way your body will be adapted to the altitude of the region.
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors beyond our control, the itinerary of the trip may vary. If so, we will notify you in a timely manner.
- Guru Explorers value your time and strive to respect the tour schedule; however, it may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable reasons). We will do our best to offer efficient options and solutions for your enjoyment.
- Large suitcases or bags.
Not recommended for:
- People with heart problems, back problems, asthma or high blood pressure.
- People in wheelchairs.
- Pregnant women.
Terms and Conditions
If you cancel more than 45 days in advance, we will refund 90%.
If you cancel more than 30 days in advance, we will refund 70%.
If you cancel more than 15 days in advance, we will refund 50%.
If you cancel with less time, arrive late or do not show up, no refund will be offered.
Why choose us
We want to be part of the experience that you will live in the Visit to Misminay and Ollantaytambo Rural Community.
If you are still wondering why choose us, we would like you to read 7 outstanding features of our service:
- QUALITY: When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. When it comes to travel, money, time and enjoyment there is a lot to solve and that's what Guru Explorers is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
- EXPERIENCE: To become Guru Explorers, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We experienced bad and good experiences, finding that in the details is the difference, that's why we know what elements are essential for your trip, we are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience!
- TRANSPARENCY: We are here to provide you with the best information and description of our tours. We are not in favor of hidden costs. We provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
- SAFETY: You trust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
- FLEXIBILITY: Although we have pre-established packages; we adapt to your needs and make tailor-made plans for you to visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of a Guru Explorers. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate travel, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sporting event in your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
- PASSION: Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; that makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for you and those you love.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism without affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive us or their environment. We create experiences that are more humane and respectful of heritage.
Want a different trip? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER