Full Day Tour Waqrapukara
Discover what the Tour to Waqrapukara has for you.
This new and mysterious attraction, Waqrapukara Tour, is undoubtedly a tourist destination that promises a lot. Its name comes from two Quechua words, “Waqra” which means horn and “Pukara”, fortress.
A tour that connects you with an experience full of stories and history of the Inca Empire in the archaeological monument and Cultural Heritage of the Nation surrounded by impressive squares, platforms and the stone forest.
A whole day discovering the magic and spirituality of the Waqrapukara fortress, baptized as the Machu Picchu of the pre-Incas. The hike is moderate, considered not difficult, reaching the highest point of the horns at 4,300 masl (14,000 feet).
Explore Waqrapukara and get ready for a day full of adventures!
Waqrapukara Tour Itinerary:
04:00 – 05:30: Pick up from hotel – Transport to Cusipata – Breakfast
The adventure starts very early with our professional guide picking you up at 04:00a.m., for the transfer to the small town of Cusipata (located south of Cusco). In this town you will taste an exquisite breakfast. There will also be a short stop to shop drinks, snacks, sunscreen, among other things that are necessary.
06:00 - 08:00: Cusipata - Sangarara - The walk begins!
After breakfast, the journey continues. On the way we will make a brief stop to observe one of the largest water bodies in the city of Cusco, the Pomacanchi Lagoon. Finally, upon reaching the town of Sangarara, we will take the detour that leads to the beginning of the walk towards Waqrapukara.
08:00 - 11:00: Hike - Exploring Waqrapukara
At the starting point you receive instructions from our professional guide, to start the walk to Waqrapukara. This is a route that lasts approximately 2 hours, and unlike the route to Machu Picchu (equipped with tourist infrastructure) this one does not have technical means or facilities (handrails, stairs) that facilitate the walk, but rather, they invite you to put all your senses in the experience.
In this place you will learn the history and mythology of the place; You will also have enough time to explore the area, take a portrait and rest amidst the impressive views of the Waqrapukara Archaeological Park, as well as see the spectacular chasms and canyons that surround it.
13:00 - 19:00: Lunch and Return to our transport - Cusco
After experiencing the Waqrapukara Tour, we met at a key point to enjoy a delicious lunch (box) in an unforgettable and special picnic.
Back to transport, a walk of about 3 hours in which you allow yourself to enjoy contact with nature, the impressive mountains and the green of the landscape contrasted with the blue of the sky, arriving in Cusco approximately at 7:00 p.m.
It only remains to rest and appreciate the experience of the tour, planning from this moment to discover together with Guru Explorers a new route that opens your mind and spirit to wonderful experiences.
* The private professional chef service is optional and at an additional cost *. The itinerary is adapted in case of reserving it, and the diet preferences of the tourists are taken into account. Likewise, a camp is set up to enjoy the mountains while you eat and receive information from our guide.
Price of the Waqrapukara trek includes:
- Departure from the lodging in the historic center of Cusco.
- Return to Plaza "Regocijo" (One block away from the Plaza de Armas in Cusco) - Historic Center of the city.
- Professional guide in English and Spanish (ask for availability for these or other languages).
- Buffet breakfast and Lunch (vegetarian and vegan options available upon request).
- Tour through the Red Valley.
- Trekking or hiking poles (on request).
- First aid and oxygen.
- Entrance tickets to the attraction.
Price of the Waqrapukara trek excludes:
- Transfer from hotels outside the city of Cusco (for private tours, ask for extra costs to pick up from the Sacred Valley or other places).
- Tips for the guide.
- Food not specified in the itinerary.
What to Bring
What to bring to the Waqrapukara Trek:
- Comfortable and optimal footwear for walks, warm jacket, caps or hat, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, bottles of water, clothing or rain poncho (especially between November - April).
- Passport or DNI.
- Travel insurance.
- Devices for audiovisual recording (cell phone, camera, camcorders)
- Cash (Local currency / Soles (S/.)
What considerations you should have when taking the Waqrapukara Trek:
- The streets of the city are narrow, an aspect that limits vehicular access to certain places; in this case the guide will suggest a nearby point to pass looking for you and enjoy the tour.
- It is important that you enjoy at least two days in Cusco before doing this tour. Only then will your body be adapted to the height of the region.
- This tour is not recommended for children under 12 years of age. Adults over 60 years of age should bear in mind that this activity requires being in very good physical condition.
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors, beyond our control, the travel itinerary may vary. If so, it will be notified promptly.
- “Guru Explorers” values your time and strives to respect the tour schedule; however, they may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable reasons). We will do our best to offer efficient options and solutions for your enjoyment.
- Large suitcases or bags.
Terms and Conditions
- More than 7 days, 90% is refunded.
- Between 4 and 7 days of notification, 70% is refunded.
- Within 3 days or less in advance, there will be no refund.
- Rates applied for change of date in private tours:
- There will be no extra charge if you notify more than 5 days in advance.
- If notified between 3 and 5 days in advance, an additional charge of 20% will apply.
- If you notify within 2 days or less in advance, it will not be possible to make the change and it will not be subject to a refund.
- There will be no refund in case of delayed flights, train delays, bad weather or other external factors.
Why choose us
The experience that makes you live the beauty of this mountain of colors is inexplicable, it is really a personal encounter between you and nature. We want to be part of that experience that you will live in the Waqrapukara Tour. If you are still wondering why choose us? We would like you to read 7 outstanding characteristics of our service:
When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. In a matter of travel, money, time and enjoyment, you have to choose the best options available and that is what “Guru Explorers” is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
To become “Guru Explorers”, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We lived bad and good experiences, valuing that the main difference lies in the details, so we know what elements are essential for your trip. We are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience!
We are here to provide you with the best and most accurate information and description of our tours. We are not supporters of hidden costs, that is why we provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
You entrust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
Although we have pre-established packages; they can be adapted to your needs and to make plans that are suited to you, so that you can visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of “Guru Explorers”. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate trips, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sports event during your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; That makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for yourself and those you love.
We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism, not affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive it or their environment. We create more human and respectful experiences of Heritage.
Do you want a different trip to Waqrapukara in Peru? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER