Tour to Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) + 2-Day Ausangate Hike
Get to know the wonders of Peru with this special Tour to Rainbow Mountain + Hike through Ausangate in 2 days
The Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) + Ausangate Hike in 2 days gives you the opportunity to visit two iconic places in Peru; the Rainbow Mountain or “Vinicunca” located at 5,200 masl (17,060 feet) plus the famous Ausangate mountain.
This tour takes you to discover the Andean landscape and its contrast of colors, flora, fauna, textures and climates. You will be able to observe impressive peaks and glaciers, with valleys covered with lagoons, typical wild fauna of the Andes, local families, as well as llamas, alpacas and vicuñas, closing the experience in the famous and world-renowned Mountain of 7 Colors (Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca)).
As part of the private tour we offer you an unparalleled gastronomic service by our private professional chef in the mountains; You can adapt the schedule and enjoy the tour with your private group and our professional guide.
Itinerary of the Vinicunca Mountain and Ausangate Hike
04:00 - 14:00: Cusco - Queshuni - Ausangate - Ananta
Our adventure starts at 6:00, when our guide passes by the group to the hotel for the trip of about 3 hours to the base of the Ausangate mountain which is exactly in the community of Queshuni.
At the beginning of the walk, near the Laguna Azulcocha or Laguna Azul, the ascent begins in an extraordinary journey under the impressive Ausangate, which allows to appreciate the Andean families in their daily routine grazing their alpacas and llamas, as well as extraordinary glaciers, mountains and beautiful lagoons product of the melting of the snow-capped mountains in the Andes mountain range.
After this ascent that reaches approximately 4,800 meters (15,748 ft) through steep trails and paths, you arrive at Ananta camp, where you enjoy a delicious lunch and rest in the middle of nature.
05:00 – 18:00 : Ananta - Montana de 7 Colores & Valle Rojo - Cusco
At 5:00 am, after a hot breakfast that warms you up from the cold mountain, the excursion begins to the Ananta pass, from where you can see a part of the Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), which after a short walk you manage to step on.
This Rainbow Mountain, also called “Vinicunca”, offers a picturesque memory of your trip with colorful panoramas and an unbeatable experience at 5,000 meters above sea level.
After enjoying this beautiful experience, you can choose the direct return to the base camp or discover walking the Red Valley, also called "Mars", a desert of incredible and amazing reddish landscapes adorned by wild vicuñas and other camelids.
To culminate this adventure, a well-deserved and delicious lunch awaits us, and the subsequent return by transport to Cusco, arriving at the hotel around 6:00 p.m.
At Guru Explorers we have for you the best experience, at the best price. We make your dreams an unforgettable trip!
Price of the Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate Tour includes:
- Briefing one day before the tour.
- Transfer from lodging in the historic center of Cusco. Sometimes, access is limited by the narrow streets of the city, if that is the case, the guide will suggest a nearby pick-up point.
- Return to the lodging in Cusco.
- Professional guide in English, Spanish, Portuguese (ask for availability for this or other languages).
- Professional chef
- Meals: 02 breakfasts, 02 lunches, 01 dinner, (vegan and vegetarian options available)
- Tourist transport (round trip) Cusco - Ollantaytambo.
- Dining tent, camping tent, sleeping bag and mats
- Tour through the Red Valley.
- Horse for camping equipment.
- Horse for personal things. (up to 7 kg per passenger)
- Drinking water at campground.
- First Aid and oxygen.
- Entrance tickets to the Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) and the Red Valley.
Price of the Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate Tour excludes:
- Transfer from hotels outside the city of Cusco (ask for extra costs to pick up from the Sacred Valley or other places in the case of private tours).
- Tips for the guide.
- Beverages not specified in the itinerary.
- Food not specified in the itinerary.
- Extra horse or mule rental. (Check availability)
What to Bring
What to Bring to the Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate Hike?
- It is recommended to bring: comfortable shoes, light clothing, hat, wool hat, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, insect repellent, rain gear (especially in November - April).
- Personal hygiene: toilet paper, toothbrush, toothpaste, wet towels, water, personal medication.
- Passport or DNI (Required).
- Travel insurance.
- Photo camera.
- Flashlights or small headlights.
- Cash (local currency).
What considerations should you have when making the Rainbow Mountain and Ausangate Tour?
- The streets of the city are narrow, an aspect that limits vehicular access to certain places; in this case the guide will suggest a nearby point to pass looking for you and enjoy the tour.
- You must be in reasonable physical condition to do the tour, however, horses can be rented to cover part of the tour at your own risk.
- It is important that you enjoy a few days in Cusco before doing the Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) and Red Valley Tour. Only then will your body be adapted to the height of the region.
- This tour is not recommended for children under 12 years old. Adults over 60 years old should bear in mind that this activity demands good physical condition.
- The Red Valley route is an optional route back to the starting point for the Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca) on the second day. This part of the excursion is carried out by individual decision - without the accompaniment of the guide - who previously offers the respective recommendations (it is not suitable for people with altitude sickness or “soroche”).
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors, beyond our control, the travel itinerary may vary. If so, it will be notified promptly.
- Guru Explorers values your time and strives to respect the tour schedule; however they may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable reasons). We will do our best to offer efficient options and solutions for your enjoyment.
- Large suitcases or bags.
- Moderate - High
Not recommended for:
- People in wheelchairs.
Terms and Conditions
- In the event that the passenger decides to abandon the walk during the journey, they will be responsible for any extra expenses that may be incurred, such as food or transportation.
- There will be no refund in case of delayed flights, train delays, bad weather or other external factors.
- More than 7 days, 90% is refunded.
- Between 4 and 7 days of notification, 70% is refunded.
- Within 3 days or less in advance, there will be no refund.
- Rates applied for change of date in private tours:
- There will be no extra charge if you are notified more than 5 days in advance.
- If notified between 3 and 5 days in advance, an additional charge of 20% will apply.
- If you are notified 2 days or less in advance, it will not be possible to make the change and it will not be subject to a refund.
Why choose us
The experience that makes you live the beauty of this mountain of colors is inexplicable, it is really a personal encounter between you and nature.
We want to be part of that experience that you will live in the Ausangate Mountain range.
If you are still wondering why choose us, we would like you to read 7 outstanding characteristics of our service:
When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. In a matter of travel, money, time and enjoyment, you have to choose the best options available and that is what “Guru Explorers” is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
To become “Guru Explorers”, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We lived bad and good experiences, valuing that the main difference lies in the details, so we know what elements are essential for your trip. We are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience! The experience that makes you live the beauty of this mountain of colors is inexplicable, it is really a personal encounter between you and nature.
We want to be part of that experience that you will live in the Ausangate mountain range.
If you are still wondering why choose us? We would like you to read 7 outstanding characteristics of our service:
We are here to provide you with the best and most accurate information and description of our tours. We are not supporters of hidden costs, that is why we provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
You entrust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
Although we have pre-established packages; they can be adapted to your needs and to make plans that are suited to you, so that you can visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of “Guru Explorers”. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate trips, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sports event during your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; That makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for yourself and those you love.
We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism, not affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive it or their environment. We create more human and respectful experiences of Heritage.
Do you want a different trip to the Rainbow Mountain? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER