Full Day Tour Machu Picchu by Train
Live the exciting adventure that the Tour to Machu Picchu by train has for you:
On the Tour to Machu Picchu by Train you have the privileged experience of transporting yourself to the most important attraction of Cusco and one of the 7 Wonders of the Modern World in a full day of excitement and adventures.
This tour offers spectacular views of the Sacred Valley of the Incas and the Vilcanota River, until reaching the highest prize: the Sacred City of the Incas, Machu Picchu, where you can enjoy its mystique, archaeological sites and wonderful essence; to finish in Aguas Calientes, an exceptional tourist town, which you can only reach on foot or by train.
As an addition to the tour of the Machu Picchu Citadel, you can choose two more circuits that suit your tastes, the type of experience you want, as well as your budget. The Entrance Ticket to the extreme adventure Machu Picchu + Huayna Picchu, which includes the visit to the Inca City + the Huayna Picchu Mountain, whose summit is located at 2,693 m.s.n.m. (8,835 feet); or the highest altitude excursion, Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain located at 3,082 meters above sea level (10,111 feet).
Being one of the destinations with the highest demand in South America, the coordination of schedules, choice of train service, selection of places to visit, purchase of tickets in advance and planning are a guarantee of success and enjoyment of this adventure.
The private experience will allow you to adapt the schedule to avoid large groups of tourists and enjoy the tour with your private group.
Machu Picchu Tour Itinerary:
04:00 - 13:00: Pick up from hotel - Transport to Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes
Once the tour is booked with Guru Explorers, we will take care of acquiring train and entrance tickets to the attractions of Machu Picchu. Taking into account availability, we adapt the itinerary as best as possible to the time you choose.
Depending on where you come from; the itinerary will have a starting time. From the city of Cusco it begins between 03:00 - 04:00, when our guide passes by your group to the accommodation to start the trip to the Sacred Valley of the Incas, for about 1.5 hours to the train station. In the event that part or all of the private group is in Ollantaytambo, the transfer starts around 04:30.
The train ride to Aguas Calientes takes an average of 1.5 hours. Upon arrival, our professional guide will lead you to the tourist bus for the transfer to the citadel of Machu Picchu.
On the guided tour you visit the most important places, including the main temples, stairways, squares, roads, among other amazing spaces of this architectural complex, such as the Intiwatana.
After the guided tour, you have free time to explore this extraordinary World Heritage Site on your own. Our guide will indicate where and at what time they will meet again for the return.
13:00 – 21:00 : Lunch - Return to Cusco
In the tourist bus you return to Aguas Calientes to enjoy lunch and continue the adventure in this town, which can only be accessed by train or walking. Here you will have the possibility to relax your body in its hot springs, after having toured the Wonder of Machu Picchu
After that we will return on the train to Ollantaytambo, where private transport awaits them for arrival in Cusco around 21:00 p.m.
The itinerary may vary according to the availability of train tickets and entrance tickets to Machu Picchu. Passengers are recommended to book as far in advance, especially in high season (June - September) or on holidays.
Being a shared group tour, train ticket upgrades are available with the return train. Being so, due to the schedules, it will be better to leave with the whole group on the same train in the morning.
Price of the Machu Picchu Tour includes:
- Briefing one day before the tour.
- Transfer from accommodation in the historic center of Cusco or Ollantaytambo. Sometimes access is limited by the narrow streets of the city; if this is the case, the guide will suggest a nearby point to look for them.
- Return to the lodging (private tours) or Plaza "Regocijo" (One block away from the Plaza de Armas in Cusco).
- Professional guided tour in English and Spanish in Machu Picchu. (for Portuguese or other languages, ask for availability)
- Transportation (round trip) from Cusco - Ollantaytambo.
- Entrance tickets to the Machu Picchu Archaeological Center.
- Train Ticket (round trip) from Ollantaytambo - Aguas Calientes (Expedition / Voyager Category)
- Tourist bus ticket (round trip) Aguas Calientes - Machu Picchu.
- First aid kit and oxygen.
Price of the Machu Picchu Tour excludes:
- Transfer from hotels outside the city of Cusco
- Tips for the guide.
- Breakfast, lunch, dinner or other food not specified in the itinerary.
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
What to Bring
What to Bring to the Machu Picchu Tour?
- Consider that Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes are above (2,000 masl / 6,561 ft); its climate varies according to the time it is visited.
- It is recommended to choose: comfortable shoes, light clothing, hat, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, water, rain gear (especially in November - April).
- Repellent against insects (important in Machu Picchu)
- Passport or DNI.
- ISIC card if you are a student.
- Travel insurance.
- Bathing suit and towel (optional for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes).
- Devices for audiovisual recording (cell phone, camera, video cameras).
- Cash (local currency).
What considerations you should have when taking the Machu Picchu Tour:
- You must choose the entrance tickets to Machu Picchu in the purchase process. Prices vary if you are not part of the Andean Community (Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador and Colombia).
- The train schedule and access to Machu Picchu may vary depending on availability. We recommend making reservations as far in advance as possible.
- By regulation of the train company, it is not allowed to carry backpacks, suitcases or large bags. The only things allowed are small bags or backpacks up to 5-6 kg.
- For the transfer from Cusco, you should consider that sometimes, access is limited by the narrow streets of the city; if this is the case, the guide will suggest a nearby pick-up point.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors, beyond our control, the travel itinerary may vary. If so, it will be notified promptly.
- “Guru Explorers” values your time and strives to respect the tour schedule; however they may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable
Terms and Conditions
- Take the following into account:
- The Ministry of Culture does not make refunds for the entrance to Machu Picchu, Montaña Machu Picchu or Montaña Huaynapicchu.
- The train company charges an administrative fee of 10% for cancellations.
- Cancellations within 11 days or more in advance, a penalty of 90 USD per person will be charged, which includes administrative concepts, entrance tickets to Machu Picchu and train company fee.
- Cancellations with 4 to 10 days in advance, will receive 50% of the amount paid.
- Cancellations with 3 days or less in advance, there will be no refund.
- There are no refunds for entrances to Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu Mountain.
- Take the following into account:
- Date changes are subject to the availability of train tickets and entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Price difference will be charged for train tickets, if applicable. (Guru Explorers does its best to avoid increases)
- In the event of the new date of the tour to Machu Picchu is in a different year from the original, the ticket will be lost and an additional 50 USD per person will be charged to buy a new one.
- For changes of dates notified 11 days or more in advance, an additional charge of 15% will apply, which includes change fee for the entrance to Machu Picchu and the train company.
- For changes of dates notified 4 to 10 days or more in advance, an additional charge of 25% will apply, which includes a change fee for the entrance to Machu Picchu and the train company.
- It will not be possible to make date changes 3 days or less in advance.
- There will be no refund in case of delayed flights, train delays, bad weather or other external factors.
Why choose us
The experience that makes you live the beauty of this mountain of colors is inexplicable, it is really a personal encounter between you and nature. We want to be part of that experience that you will live on the Tour to Machu Picchu by train. If you are still wondering why choose us? We would like you to read 7 outstanding characteristics of our service:
When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. In a matter of travel, money, time and enjoyment, you have to choose the best options available and that is what “Guru Explorers” is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
To become “Guru Explorers”, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We lived bad and good experiences, valuing that the main difference lies in the details, so we know what elements are essential for your trip. We are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience!
We are here to provide you with the best and most accurate information and description of our tours. We are not supporters of hidden costs, that is why we provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
You entrust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
Although we have pre-established packages; they can be adapted to your needs and to make plans that are suited to you, so that you can visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of “Guru Explorers”. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate trips, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sports event during your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; That makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for yourself and those you love.
We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism, not affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive it or their environment. We create more human and respectful experiences of Heritage.
Do you want a different trip to Machu Picchu? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER