Palccoyo Rainbow Mountains Tour
If you are looking for an incredible experience in one of Peru’s favorite places, you can’t miss the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour. This is a completely new tour in Cusco and has a great projection.
Recognized for being one of the best touristic sites to visit in the country, Palccoyo which is formed by the Rainbow Mountain and the Ausangate can offer you an unforgettable trip. With this tour you will be able to know these wonders, including the town of Checacupe. This site is characterized by 3 picturesque bridges including an Inca bridge and a Colonial one, which will be part of the tour.
This is a shared tour with other tourists. An ideal option to enjoy the picturesque landscapes that only this wonderful site can offer. In these tours all safety protocols are met, with 75% capacity in the transports, social distancing, temperature control and hand sanitizers on hand.
The tour is highly recommended between March and December if you are looking for a quieter and less visited place. Since the hikes are short (45 minutes one way) it is not necessary to make too much physical effort to enjoy them. Departures start very early, around 4:30 am and end at 4:30 pm, offering a convenient time slot for other activities at sunset.
The guides will be in charge of helping you throughout the tour with their extensive experience in the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour. With that in mind, you only have to worry about enjoying the beautiful scenery, an awesome breakfast and a hearty lunch at Colca’s Restaurant, the best in the area.
Without a doubt, the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour is one of the best options to enjoy an experience you will never forget.
Palccoyo Mountain Tour Itinerary:
4:30am - 6:30am: Pick up - Transfer to Colca- Breakfast
Our guide will pick you up early in the morning (4:30 am) at the hotel and then head south of Cusco. Once you arrive at the Colca community, you will enjoy a hearty breakfast for 30 minutes. If you need to do some last minute shopping for snacks, water or sunscreen, you will be able to take advantage of this window to do so.
7:00am - 9:00am: Transportation to Checacupe - Visit to the 3 Bridges - Transportation to Palccoyo
Once everyone is ready, you will embark on a trip to the base camp of Palccoyo. On this trip, you will visit the 3 bridges of Checacupe (Inca, Colonial and Republican bridges) and the Colonial village including its church to learn about the experiences of its inhabitants as well as the local lifestyle and culture. From Checacupe to Polccoyo we will be able to observe unforgettable landscapes such as mountains, colorful valleys full of llamas and alpacas.
09:00am - 11:30am: Arrival at Palccoyo base camp - Hike to Palccoyo - Visit to the Stone Forest (Optional)
When you arrive at the base camp of Palccoyo, you will have a few minutes to listen to the explanation of the guides before starting the hike. Each section lasts 45 minutes, during which you can enjoy the scenery and panoramic viewpoints until you reach the 3 Colored Mountains of Palccoyo. From here, you will be able to observe Ausangate, the highest mountain in Cusco, and then take a break for snacks. Afterwards, you will have enough free time to explore the place on your own and take the best pictures. Then we will continue our hike to the Stone Forest of Palccoyo where we will reach 5000 meters above sea level at the highest point.
11:30am - 16:30: Return to transportation - Lunch - Return to Cusco.
Once you have visited the Rainbow Mountain of Palccoyo and the Stone Forest, the group will descend for 30 minutes to the parking lot to return to Colca's Restaurant, where a delicious lunch will be served. Once concluded, we begin the return to Cusco for 2 hours, arriving at the Plaza Regocijo where the tour ends around 17:00.
The price of the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour (Group Service) includes:
- Pick up from hotel (Historical center of the city)
- Return to Regocijo Square (Historic City Center)
- Professional guide in English and Spanish
- Entrance ticket
- Breakfast and Lunch buffet (Vegetarian and vegan options available)
- Trekking poles
- First aid kit
The price of the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour (Group Service) does not include:
- Tips for the guide and driver (contribution is voluntary)
- Meals not mentioned in the description
What to Bring
What to bring for the hike to Palccoyo Mountain:
- Choose comfortable walking shoes, warm jacket, hats or caps, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, water, rain gear or poncho (especially in November - April).
- Passport or ID card.
- Travel insurance.
- Audiovisual recording devices (cell phone, camera, video cameras).
- Cash (local currency)
Considerations for the alternative tour to the Rainbow Mountain:
- The streets of the city are narrow, which limits vehicular access to certain places; in this case the guide will suggest a nearby point to pass by looking for you and enjoy the tour.
- This tour is not recommended for children under 10 years old.
- It is important that you enjoy a few days in Cusco before doing the tour of Palcoyo, an alternative to the Traditional Rainbow Mountain. This is the only way your body will be adapted to the altitude of the region.
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors beyond our control, the itinerary of the trip may vary. If so, we will notify you in a timely manner.
- Guru Explorers value your time and strive to respect the tour schedule; however, it may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable reasons). We will do our best to offer efficient options and solutions for your enjoyment.
- Large suitcases or bags.
Not recommended for:
- People with heart problems, back problems, asthma or high blood pressure.
- People in wheelchairs.
- Pregnant women.
Terms and Conditions
- With 3 days or less notice, there will be no reimbursement.
- Between 4 and 7 days’ notice, 70% reimbursement.
- More than 7 days, 90% will be reimbursed.
- Fees applied for change of date in private tours:
- There will be no extra charge if notified more than 5 days in advance.
- If notified between 3 and 5 days in advance, an additional charge of 20% will apply.
- If notified 2 days or less in advance, it will not be possible to make the change and will not be subject to reimbursement.
- There will be no refund in case of delayed flights, train delays, bad weather or other external factors.
Why choose us
We want to be part of the experience that you will live in the Palccoyo Rainbow Mountain Tour.
If you are still wondering why choose us, we would like you to read 7 outstanding features of our service:
- QUALITY: When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. When it comes to travel, money, time and enjoyment there is a lot to solve and that's what Guru Explorers is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
- EXPERIENCE: To become Guru Explorers, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We experienced bad and good experiences, finding that in the details is the difference, that's why we know what elements are essential for your trip, we are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience!
- TRANSPARENCY: We are here to provide you with the best information and description of our tours. We are not in favor of hidden costs. We provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
- SAFETY: You trust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
- FLEXIBILITY: Although we have pre-established packages; we adapt to your needs and make tailor-made plans for you to visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of a Guru Explorers. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate travel, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sporting event in your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
- PASSION: Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; that makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for you and those you love.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism without affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive us or their environment. We create experiences that are more humane and respectful of heritage.
Want a different trip to Cusco? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER