Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras
In this tour you can see the wonders of the agricultural laboratory of Moray and the salt mines of Maras along with the Misminay community. This destination is very popular and is located just an hour and a half from Cusco. In this visit, you will be able to share the cultural richness and be part of them, allowing you to get involved in their crops, textiles and handicrafts.
In addition, you will have the opportunity to learn about their cosmovision and the symbolism of the stars, as well as visit the agricultural laboratory of Moray and the salt mines of Maras in the same tour. This is an activity where you can help to improve the quality of life of this community and learn about it.
Feel how Peruvian wool slips through your fingers and learn how the Misminay community lives with this excursion from Cusco. ¡ You will discover the millenary traditions of the Andean people!
Itinerary of the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras:
We will leave the hotel in Cusco at 8:00 am and then depart to the circular terraces of Moray. Here we will tour this intriguing Inca research center and discover its agricultural secrets. In addition, we will be able to walk and appreciate the landscape.
Afterwards we will head to Misminay, where we will meet the community of women weavers who will teach us their ancient textile traditions. In this visit, we will also take the opportunity to participate in a demonstration of hand weaving and we will practice their peculiar techniques.
Then we will enjoy a delicious lunch prepared by local families, made with local products from Misminay.
After lunch, we will go to the town of Maras to visit the valley where the salt ponds are located. We will explore this intriguing site used long ago by the Incas themselves to extract salt. We will also have the opportunity to buy mineral salt of excellent quality so that you can use it in your own meals.
We will return to the hotel after a walk at approximately 16:00 hrs.
The price of the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras:
- Transfer from lodging in the historic center of Cusco. Access to the hotel area is limited by the narrow streets of the city, if necessary, the guide will suggest a nearby point to start the tour.
- Return to the lodge (private tours) or Plaza Regocijo.
- Professional guide in English, Spanish, Portuguese (ask for availability for this or other languages).
- First aid kit and oxygen.
The price of the visit to the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras:
- Expenses within the activity: Estimated cost per person is 30 USD. Bring the money on the day of the tour
- Transfer from hotels outside the city of Cusco (for private tours, ask if extra costs apply to pick up from Sacred Valley or other places)
- Tip for the guide
- Breakfast, lunch or other meals not specified in the itinerary.
- Tourist ticket: see information below.
- Entrance ticket to the salt mines of Maras (adults and students: S/10.00).
- Tourist Ticket: The Cusco Tourist Ticket (BTC) allows entrance to different attractions. It can be purchased at the entrance of each tourist destination we visit (consider that only cash payment is accepted).
- For this tour, you will need the Partial Tourist Ticket of Circuit III, which covers the attractions of Pisac, Chinchero, Moray and Ollantaytambo.Ticket Prices:Partial Tourist Ticket - Foreigners S/. 70.00Partial Tourist Ticket - Peruvian S/. 40.00See more information about the Tourist Ticket in this article.
What to Bring
¿What to bring for the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras?
- It is recommended to bring: comfortable shoes, light clothing, hat, gloves, sunglasses, sunscreen, water, rain gear.
- Passport or ID card.
- Travel insurance.
- Audiovisual recording devices (cell phone, camera, video cameras).
- Cash (local currency).
Considerations for the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras:
- This tour is not recommended for children under 10 years old.
- Due to environmental, climatic or other factors beyond our control, the itinerary of the trip may vary. If so, we will notify you in a timely manner.
- Guru Explorers value your time and strive to respect the tour schedule; however, it may vary for reasons beyond our control (weather, natural disasters, field conditions, among other demonstrable reasons). We will do our best to offer efficient options and solutions for your enjoyment
Terms and Conditions
If you cancel more than 45 days in advance, we will refund 90%.
If you cancel more than 30 days in advance, we will refund 70%.
If you cancel more than 15 days in advance, we will refund 50%.
If you cancel with less time, arrive late or do not show up, no refund will be offered.
Why choose us
We want to be part of the experience that you will live in the Visit to the Misminay Rural Community and the salt mines of Maras.
If you are still wondering why choose us, we would like you to read 7 outstanding features of our service:
- QUALITY: When you go to a teacher, it is because you want to answer all the questions. When it comes to travel, money, time and enjoyment there is a lot to solve and that's what Guru Explorers is all about, giving you the perfect balance for the adventure you DESERVE.
- EXPERIENCE: To become Guru Explorers, we are still world travelers, but experts in Cusco, Lima, and the most important destinations in Peru. We experienced bad and good experiences, finding that in the details is the difference, that's why we know what elements are essential for your trip, we are travelers and we strive to enhance your experience!
- TRANSPARENCY: We are here to provide you with the best information and description of our tours. We are not in favor of hidden costs. We provide the necessary information so you can choose the inclusions or upgrades you are looking for.
- SAFETY: You trust us with your time, your money and your expectations and that is why we fine-tune every detail to guarantee the trip you dream of.
- FLEXIBILITY: Although we have pre-established packages; we adapt to your needs and make tailor-made plans for you to visit any place in Peru, with the expertise of a Guru Explorers. We adapt trips for special occasions such as your corporate travel, honeymoon, birthday, social, cultural or sporting event in your visit to Peru, offering you complete advice to achieve and exceed your expectations.
- PASSION: Before being tour guides, we are travelers, explorers, adventurers; that makes us passionate about creating the best experiences in the time you invest for you and those you love.
- SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY: We promote Responsible and Sustainable Tourism without affecting the traveler, nor exploiting the communities that receive us or their environment. We create experiences that are more humane and respectful of heritage.
Want a different trip? We won't keep you waiting!
Need help planning that long-awaited trip?
WE DESIGN YOUR EXPERIENCE IN PERU TOGETHER